"If you don't see the real me, you won't see what love has won..." Vota

Sunday, December 26, 2010

Anything but this

I've been thinking a lot about the young girl Mary, the mother of God's son. You know we think about her every Christmas and about what she went through, but maybe only at Christmas. You know, I so want to learn from her experiences and her faithfulness. We should all learn from her. I don't mean make her an idol by any means. She is not to be worshipped any more than I should be or any other human being or man made object. What I mean is that this very young girl loved the Lord so much that when He told her that she was going to become pregnant as a virgin and she would give birth to His son she only questioned how (a very logical question for a virgin) and then accepted it.

She knew in her culture what this meant. There was a chance she could be put to death. There was a surety she would be shunned and thought of as a harlot. She would lose everyone's respect (for I imagine if she had pleased God so much to be chosen as the mother of Jesus she must have been a girl with pretty neat and respectable character). She would have to tell this story that would have to seem outrageous to her betrothed Joseph. She had to have thought of all of this, but she never complained or asked God to maybe choose someone else. She simply accepted it and praised God.

Next time God has directions for me or a job for me to do, I want to simply accept it and not argue or worry about all of the things that might make the job difficult. I want to praise God for who He is and trust that He is who He says He is. I don't want to miss out-- Look what Mary would have missed out on if she had argued with God, or requested of Him to not use her in this way, but maybe another way... She got to kiss baby Jesus' face. She got to cradle our savior. How many blessings have I missed out on for fear of what people would think or say about me if I did what God asked me to do? How many times have I said, "Lord, this is just not for me is there something else I could do? I would be willing to do something else for you, anything but this."

Mary simply accepted His plan and praised Him. She took time to remember all God had done in the past. She remembered His faithfulness, and in turn she kept her faith in Him. Help me, Lord to remember all You have done for me, all of the miraculous wonders You have placed in my life, all of Your words spoken to me in my distress or in my joy, all of Your faithfulness to my family and friends. Lord, as I remember these things, place in me the willingness to look beyond the world and it's criticism and see You smiling down on Your good and faithful servant. Let me hear the songs You sing over me as I follow You, not the unkind words of those who might try to deter me from Your path. You are the lamp and the light on my journey. Let me not look for alternate means of guidance. Lord Jesus, You are the way, the truth and my life. I can be assured I will come to the Father through You. You will give me all I need according to Your glorious riches. You will equip me to stand firm. You will counsel me as I need encouragement, heal me as I break or am broken, and You will advocate for me at the throne of God as I mess up. Lord God, I can come to You and have access to You directly because of Jesus. I know You hear my prayers and praises just as You heard Your servant Mary's.

Luke 1 46- 55
Mary’s Song


 And Mary said:

“My soul glorifies the Lord
and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior,
for he has been mindful
of the humble state of his servant.
From now on all generations will call me blessed,
for the Mighty One has done great things for me—
holy is his name.
His mercy extends to those who fear him,
from generation to generation.
He has performed mighty deeds with his arm;
he has scattered those who are proud in their inmost thoughts.
He has brought down rulers from their thrones
but has lifted up the humble.
He has filled the hungry with good things
but has sent the rich away empty.
He has helped his servant Israel,
remembering to be merciful
to Abraham and his descendants forever,
just as he promised our ancestors.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read your comments! I would love to post those with actual thoughts reflecting on my posts. Spam and nastiness will not be posted.