"If you don't see the real me, you won't see what love has won..." Vota

Sunday, November 1, 2009

Two kinds of Wisdom

James 3:13-18 13Who is wise and understanding among you? Let him show it by his good life, by deeds done in the humility that comes from wisdom. 14But if you harbor bitter envy and selfish ambition in your hearts, do not boast about it or deny the truth. 15Such "wisdom" does not come down from heaven but is earthly, unspiritual, of the devil. 16For where you have envy and selfish ambition, there you find disorder and every evil practice.

17But the wisdom that comes from heaven is first of all pure; then peace-loving, considerate, submissive, full of mercy and good fruit, impartial and sincere. 18Peacemakers who sow in peace raise a harvest of righteousness.

Wow, what a thought provoking scripture. This was the basis for this morning's sermon. It is really one to make me look inward and take inventory of my own life's conversation (according to David this word was used in the Greek to mean one's coming and going). I often find myself really coveting Godly wisdom. You know, you hear a great teacher and want to know what they know, understand what they understand, have the witness that they have, the faith they have... I remember as a little girl the first time I heard the story about Solomon. I was watching the TV. show The Bible Book or maybe The Flying House. These were regular television cartoons where the children in the show would travel back to Bible times and live the story. Anyway, I remember watching the one where Solomon is able to ask for anything he wanted and he asked for wisdom. It is such a profound memory I have because I went to my room and prayed for wisdom. I couldn't have been over 9 or so, but I asked and I truly believed He would give me the Wisdom of Solomon. I still pray for that wisdom-- Godly wisdom.


I really desire to have this Spiritual Gift. I do not see myself as having it yet. I do believe that because God has given me the desire, He will one day give me the gift. I pray that one day, I can be a wise old woman whose grand children and great grand children come to for advice and actually find it useful and meaningful. Oh, I so want to be that sweet, wise old granny one day.

Last Sunday, a lady from church asked me where I got all of my wisdom. Shocked, I just told her that I was not wise. What can I say? I am not wise. I asked her what would make her ask that and she said it was from the comments I make on Wed. nights. OK, I am not making wise comments; I just really want to learn. I ask the questions that pop in my head. I say things that pop in my head (maybe someone should shut me up). Though, I do so love to chatter. I have been accused of this all my life. When it comes to something I am passionate about, it only makes matters (or should I say chatters) worse.

Anyway, I long for wisdom from God. I really seek it with my whole heart. I forsake the wisdom of the world (thus why I am not trying to advance myself by the world's standards). I am a fairly intelligent woman (or used to be before kids), but this is not the intelligence I desire. I don't want book smarts, I don't desire common sense (a good thing, I've never had that!) What I desire is a life that screams, "I love Jesus"; "I belong to Jesus!"

Lord Jesus, sitting at the right hand of God Almighty, intercede for me and tell Dad that I really need some wisdom-- His Wisdom.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read your comments! I would love to post those with actual thoughts reflecting on my posts. Spam and nastiness will not be posted.