"If you don't see the real me, you won't see what love has won..." Vota

Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Shopping shmuck-- such is my life!

Tonight for our AHG meeting, I had all sorts of great plans which were to be rounded out by an activity of making Christmas tree ornaments out of a recipe I found online for applesauce/cinnamon, cookie like ornaments. The recipe was equal parts applesauce and cinnamon. So I went to Wal-Mart and bought the cinnamon (4 of the cheap bottles) and the applesauce. We ended up not having much time for our activities because of a presentation of badge work (the older kids)... but anyway we skipped most of my great plans and went straight to the ornaments. I dumped the applesauce (about 1 1/2 cups) into the bowl and opened the cinnamon. Hmmm, it must be awfully cheap cinnamon for it was bright red... oh crud! It was not cinnamon... it was chili powder. Turns out 2 of the 4 bottles of cinnamon were actually chili powder. Holy smokes, I even made sure I was getting cinnamon (or at least I thought I had). So I mixed up the 2 cinnamons and still needed more so I added in chili powder. It worked, but our supposedly fragrant ornaments now smell like Mexican chili cookies.


I am so often finding myself in scenarios similar to this. I get home and even though I checked the eggs to make sure they weren't broken, I neglect to check the date, or I get home with a loaf of bread to find the package sliced open with the box cutter used by the delivery guy to open the box (what other reason would there be a perfectly straight slit in the bag?). I apparently looked at the shelf and found the cinnamon, but behind the cinnamon was some rouge chili powder. I am the one who gets home with new shoes, one in my size and another in not my size. Ugh. Or to get home with the security ink tag left on the pants (which do not set off alarms only ruin pants when you try to take them off [not that I've done this-- I once worked at JCPenney's].) I am not sure if it is because I am undeniably bad at paying attention to details, or that when I get into a shopping setting (esp. Wal-Mart) my blood pressure slows way down -- really, I've sat in one of those blood pressure check zones at Wal-Mart and whoa it gets so low-- and I completely fog over-- like, glassy eyed and oblivious. It is so weird. I hate going to Wal-Mart, but that is beside the point. I started to give a self diagnosis here for why these things occur, but I have really no thoughts on this matter. I just know I stink at details. I don't multi-task-- PERIOD. Without pointing the blame to distractions, I do have 2 very distracting little girls; however, they were not with me on the cinnamon trip. I have no excuses! I am a shopping shmuck.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you're on something, or maybe drinking some of the wine you talked about earlier.

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments! I would love to post those with actual thoughts reflecting on my posts. Spam and nastiness will not be posted.