"If you don't see the real me, you won't see what love has won..." Vota

Saturday, May 2, 2009

Family time...

Last night we went to the church for the neighborhood drive in. The church was providing the movie Wall-E and popcorn, candy and drinks. This was not a movie I cared to see and it was way after the girls bed time, but I just put myself into the mindset that this is family time and it will be good for us, fun for the girls and it is free (donations accepted). We got there and spread out our blankets and the girls laid on the blanket beside me. I thought OK, this is really cool.

Then other people started arriving and Ollie saw some of her friends. That was the end of family time. She and The Turkey went to sit with friends up closer to the screen. So Hubby and I sat together partly watching the movie and partly watching the girls. An hour into the movie the girls were really tired and opted to leave.

I have a few thoughts on this whole experience. I never imagined how it would feel the first time the girls opted for friends over family. Family time is so important. I am going to make it more of a priority to do things together as a family. Lord, help me to think in this mindset and not prioritize other things above this. I can only imagine what family time will be like when the girls are teens and have jobs and their own priorities.

Another thought I had was directed to the sceptics of home schooling. My girls have never been in a formal school setting, so the skeptics think that they are not being socialized. "How could they possibly learn to interact with other children if they are not in school?" Really? I mean, you've gotta be kidding me. My children don't know a stranger. They make friends with whomever is nearest their age. Just watching the row of little girls at the "theater" last night proves it. There was The Turkey (2 1/2), Ollie and Savannah (4-5) and two other little girls about 8. They all sat together and shared and watched the movie together. Why on earth would someone think that sitting in a desk in a setting where you are not supposed to talk or get up and there are only kids your exact age is the best/only place to learn social skills. Hmmm, how many places are social settings for adults where there is no talking or moving allowed and there are only adults you age there? I can't think of one. Even college breaks the age aspect. I'm not even married to someone my age. It is funny how absurd the arguments against homeschooling are! Absurd as they are, people believe in them whole heartedly. Wow! I see what the Bible means when it says

John 3:21But whoever lives by the truth comes into the light, so that it may be seen plainly that what he has done has been done through God."

John 16:13But when he, the Spirit of truth, comes, he will guide you into all truth. He will not speak on his own; he will speak only what he hears, and he will tell you what is yet to come.

Acts 20:30Even from your own number men will arise and distort the truth in order to draw away disciples after them.

Romans 1:25They exchanged the truth of God for a lie, and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator—who is forever praised. Amen.

1 Corinthians 2:12-14 12We have not received the spirit of the world but the Spirit who is from God, that we may understand what God has freely given us. 13This is what we speak, not in words taught us by human wisdom but in words taught by the Spirit, expressing spiritual truths in spiritual words. 14The man without the Spirit does not accept the things that come from the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him, and he cannot understand them, because they are spiritually discerned.

Well... How many other times do we hear people or the media going on about absurdities... like the fear of global warming or the latest Swine Flu fear. It is funny how a disease that has affected (not killed) less that 2000 people worldwide is something to be afraid of where there are awareness groups out there for AIDS trying to make people not be afraid of it. Have they stopped people or encouraged them to stop living in a way to prevent the spread of this DEADLY disease? NO! But they are halting travel because of a flu virus that has affected few people and which is not anymore deadly than the common flu. Hmmm... I see a trend here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read your comments! I would love to post those with actual thoughts reflecting on my posts. Spam and nastiness will not be posted.