"If you don't see the real me, you won't see what love has won..." Vota

Thursday, May 21, 2009

Reading kids books shouldn't be so frustrating.

Today, we went to the library and signed up for the summer reading program. (Ollie has a goal of 100 books over the next 2 1/2 months.) Now, I have learned (the hard way) to screen the books, so I sat at the library skimming the books. We got home with a stack of about a dozen books. There were a couple I did not screen, because I remembered reading them to my Kindergartners when I was teaching. We sat out on a blanket and read Junie B. Jones-- one I did not screen. Ugh, I had to edit the book the whole time as I read. It was loaded with name calling; the word hate (which we DO NOT use) to describe things and, even worse, people; and threats to physically hurt someone she was mad at. Hmmm. At school we read these books unedited to our kids with no thought about it. I'm sure the repeated instances of using the Lord's name in vain throughout the ever popular Eloise go unnoticed as well, or the fact the Olvia (the pig) bargains with her parents to get her way and is a whiny brat most of the time. (One more reason that homeschooling is the right choice for our family.) Reading kids books should not be this frustrating. There is a book we have (currently in my top drawer) that is about a witch (innocent enough-nothing too disturbing about her other than her witch clothes) who has a fat cat who hates the fat rat. The cat does mean things to the rat throughout the story and tells the rat he hates him over and over. This book is intended for young children, obviously. Even as a Christian teacher I didn't think of screening for more than "four letter" words. Sadly now I see, with hind sight being 20/20, these types of things went unnoticed and were unimportant. How many children were taught that these things were OK because I read them and was unconcerned.

In public school, the teacher is the most influential person in a kids life. I remember, as a kid, so many times telling my mom she was wrong, because the teacher said differently. What if the teacher is teaching about evolution or tolerance? It is OK to be gay... the person is not wrong. You just have to tolerate the differences; this is the philosophy. So what about what we know as Christians-- this is wrong. We are not to tolerate the sin. We are to love the person and not judge them, but we aren't supposed to tell them it is OK. We can't tell them they are going to hell (that's not our place-- we are not God) but we can tell them what the Bible says, it is wrong.) We can love them enough to not want them to be in bondage to sin. Is it true love if we just go on unconcerned about them and their eternal soul? This goes for everyone, not just this one sin. Tolerance is a way of teaching children (brainwashing them I should say) to be apathetic to others and just focus on themselves. Isn't this contradictory to the teachings of Christ and the great commission? In school it is OK to pray to yourself, or read the Bible to yourself, but the moment you start talking about it you've crossed the line. You might cause someone to feel uncomfortable in their sin. Hmmm. Isn't this what Christ did?Anyway (stepping down from my soapbox), I am so glad that I have followed the calling to home school my girls. If this isn't enough to convince other Christians to do the same thing...

2 comments:

  1. Well, you've certainly captured the main reason I'm determined to homeschool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you Tana! I wish more Christian moms would step up to the plate and make the sacrifice. I don't buy the excuse that they can't afford it! We are dirt poor and just sacrifice extras and I work part time late at night. It is possible!

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments! I would love to post those with actual thoughts reflecting on my posts. Spam and nastiness will not be posted.