"If you don't see the real me, you won't see what love has won..." Vota

Sunday, July 19, 2009

A New Name

On Sunday mornings and at small group on Tuesdays, we have been studying the story of Abram and the covenant God made with him and his seed (Jesus and us via baptism). This morning, David was talking (briefly but it seemed like a good topic to blog) about the name change and he asked us to think about "if God were giving us a new name (phrase describing for what you are known) what would it be?" He started naming off many things for what some would like to be known, such as "She lives in a great house", "Her husband makes a lot of money", and "He is successful". Surely this is not how we as His heirs want to be known.

I know how I want to be known... "A woman loved by God".

Only, this phrase is not one that I could claim as uniquely mine. I am HAPPY to say that I could share that name with everyone who accepted it. Anyone who wants this name can claim it. I am not sure if there is a name that would uniquely describe me, at least not one that I could come up with. I'm sure God is smiling down and thinking of the perfect name for me.

1 comment:

  1. I think I'll steal that sermon idea! It's a good one!

    Sincerely,

    He who needs some good sermon ideas

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments! I would love to post those with actual thoughts reflecting on my posts. Spam and nastiness will not be posted.