"If you don't see the real me, you won't see what love has won..." Vota

Monday, September 28, 2009

Wake me up!

Tonight, after I got home from Bible study, I was on the phone with my sister in FL when I heard Ollie up in the bathroom. About 10 minutes or so later, she started crying. Hubby went back there first, and I went back to check out the problem with worst case scenario in mind (stomach virus). I got there and she was still asleep. I got her off the commode and began looking for her underpants, which I found in her bedroom. She picked them up and straightened them and started putting them on like a shirt. I asked her if I could help and she said, "no". She then put an arm in each hole and started pulling the waistband over her head; I asked her if she knew what she was doing and she said, "yes". I again offered to help her as she stared mindlessly at the underpants. Finally, she accepted my help and I dressed her and put her in the bed.

How many times do I do this, spiritually speaking? I, in a state of complete disorientation proceed to do things my way, completely asleep with my Father over me asking if I would like His help. I, of course, say, "no" and proceed to put my panties on my head. It is not until I realize I can't breath with them over my face that I give into His help. He is there patiently waiting to help me-- laughing (maybe) at my stubbornness and mishaps. [I know I have done things so DUMB that my God would have to laugh at me. He is the creator who gave us a sense of humor in His image.] I wonder how many laughs He has gotten out of my spiritual sleep walking. I am sure He has had His moments of aggravation at me, or anger, or exasperation... but I have never much considered Him laughing at me.

I searched the Bible, quickly-- not in depth, for instances where God laughed. I didn't really find laughter used in a humorous instance, but I kept coming back to this one verse, so I finally looked it up and read it. It actually fits what I am talking about.

Proverbs 1:24-26 (The Message)
22-24 "Simpletons! How long will you wallow in ignorance? Cynics! How long will you feed your cynicism? Idiots! How long will you refuse to learn? About face! I can revise your life. Look, I'm ready to pour out my spirit on you; I'm ready to tell you all I know. As it is, I've called, but you've turned a deaf ear; I've reached out to you, but you've ignored me. ...*
How many times have I been an idiot? God offered me His Spirit and I scoffed at Him. I am glad that when I finally woke up from my daze He was there wanting me. I don't imagine this particular time He was laughing (not really a laughable time in my life) more the anger here or frustration... BUT He was there, lovingly waiting to pour out His Spirit into me! The full power of God living right inside me!
*...25-28 "Since you laugh at my counsel and make a joke of my advice, How can I take you seriously? I'll turn the tables and joke about your troubles! What if the roof falls in, and your whole life goes to pieces? What if catastrophe strikes and there's nothing to show for your life but rubble and ashes? You'll need me then. You'll call for me, but don't expect an answer. No matter how hard you look, you won't find me.
Is this blaspheming against the Holy Spirit or what? Making a joke or mockery of the Holy Spirit. The next couple of chapters are filled with titles for the Holy Spirit-- read it http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Proverbs+2&version=MSG . Anyway the point is that the Holy Spirit is alive and willing and available as my counselor, but so often I am asleep and ignore, or can't hear His offer to help. Lord, my prayer is that You wake me up when I am sleep walking. I know first hand how hard this is to do, for Ollie is really hard to wake. I never really got her to wake tonight. Don't let me sleep walk right off a cliff, or even walk around with my panties on my head!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read your comments! I would love to post those with actual thoughts reflecting on my posts. Spam and nastiness will not be posted.