"If you don't see the real me, you won't see what love has won..." Vota

Monday, August 2, 2010

Shifting sand

I am at the beach! I have been coming to this exact condo for as long as I can remember and believe it or not every time I come, there is something different about the beach or area. Did you know that one of, if not the biggest moving sand dune in the Eastern US is located a few miles from here-- Kill Devil Hills, NC? The beach itself looks different every year and from 25+ years ago it is extremely different. I remember as a teenager sitting on this gazebo out in back of the condominium complex over looking the ocean watching the tide come all the way up to the steps and remembering back on when the highest tides never came close. Since then the gazebo is long gone as are the pools which once used to sit between the condo and the barrier dune by the sea. The pool is now deep under sand-- if anything of it is even left. The barrier dune is now about 50 feet closer to the condo and the pool is out front.

The big dune I was talking about earlier is called Jockey's Ridge. It is big enough to hang glide from still, but I really remember it being much bigger. As it's sands have shifted over the years it has slowly started uncovering a once consumed gooney golf course, and still hides a 2 story hotel built in the 1800's. Here is a LINK about the dune and another to a picture of the top of a castle from the gooney golf course and still another for a very interesting history of the place.

The shifting sands of this dune and island are always in motion and threaten the stability of anything built here. So many houses and hotels that once were here are no longer and new, fancier steads have been built in their place with very high insurance prices because of the lack of stability. Currently the state is buying up private property that the dune is creeping towards and is scooping sand from the road side of the dune and carting it to the back side as a temporary fix. It is only temporary. This dune and its shifting sands will one day take over what man has built and there will be losses of more buildings into the sea.
Now we can all look with logic and see the idiocy of actually building our residence on this type of foundation, but we still will do it and support others who do by visiting and our taxes pay for those who experience a disaster due to a hurricane. I think the same thing applies to our faith.

In the Bible we are warned about building our faith on shifting sands. Luke 6: 46-49 "Why do you call me, 'Lord, Lord,' and do not do what I say? I will show you what he is like who comes to me and hears my words and puts them into practice. He is like a man building a house, who dug down deep and laid the foundation on rock. When a flood came, the torrent struck that house but could not shake it, because it was well built. But the one who hears my words and does not put them into practice is like a man who built a house on the ground without a foundation. The moment the torrent struck that house, it collapsed and its destruction was complete."

If we build our faith on anything besides God's Word we are building our faith on sand. If we think that God's Word changes like the culture, we are building our faith on shifting sands. I have heard many people say things like, "Times have changed," in defense of refuting parts of the Bible with which they disagree-- you know the parts that are not politically correct. Here is the thing, if you do this then what holds you strong in rough seas? Where is you sure foundation which will keep you from falling?

The Bible shows you exactly what will happen when the the trial comes and ALL call upon the Lord's Name. If you do not think all will call upon the name of the Lord, then look back on church attendance the Sunday afer 9/11. This was a minor tragedy compared to the end times. The Bible says that every knee shall bow and every tounge confess. It also says, Matthew 7:20-23 Thus, by their fruit you will recognize them. "Not everyone who says to me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. Many will say to me on that day, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and in your name drive out demons and perform many miracles?' Then I will tell them plainly, 'I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!'

So if you are listening to the culture, the president/politicians, the preacher only, your feelings, your desires... Know that this is shifting sand. The only place to find the firm foundation is the Bible. Read it and I promise your life will change. You will feel stronger, and you will need this strength as times change, Satan tempts, the world collapses, persecution thrives... With faith you can move mountains. The mountains of fear, anxiety, depression, loneliness, persecution... God will lead you through. He will either personally remove the mountains, send others to help remove them or give you the strength to endure the climb over them. I have had many mountains and not all of them have come at times in my life where my faith was strong. I would NEVER want to do it alone again having experienced being carried through by God.

Do you have a sure foundation or do you fear the future shifting sands? Are you buying insurance from man to insure your stability or are you sure enough in your faith that you know you will be strong as easy comes to a close and persecution and trials head this way?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read your comments! I would love to post those with actual thoughts reflecting on my posts. Spam and nastiness will not be posted.